Wednesday, July 27, 2005

Echinacea doesn't actually do anything

Well, this is going to be one of the few arguments I've won with my girlfriend. It turns out that Echinacea really doesn't do anything.

Does this scare anyone else? Any idea how big the market for Echinacea is? I couldn't find it on the web--research firms wanted to charge me for that kind of data. But it's big. The best I could do was $7.1B for "nutraceuticals," of which Echinacea, I believe, is just one. Also, way back in 1997, the Echinacea market was $4M.

In the US, neither the FDA nor any other government body regulates Echinacea or any other dietary supplement for content, quality, or efficacy. That apparently means that I could go into my back yard, pick a few dandelions, grind them up and make a pill that I could claim cures Bad Job Doldrums. And I'd just need to buy an ad spot on TV and charge $25 per bottle and I'd have a great business.

Or, I could just sell Echinacea. Probably wouldn't even need to advertise, then.

It's ridiculous. As long as consumers will believe anything that they see on TV or read in an ad, the government has a responsibility to protect them. How many people will see this scientific study debunking Echinacea? Who has the motivation to publicize it (and where will the money come from)? Now who has the motivation to HIDE it?

One of these days, it will turn out that one of these dietary supplements is actually HARMFUL--something which would have been discovered if the FDA had done testing. Then we'll see some change. In the meantime, I'm going to go work on my own ripoff pills, I mean my "All Natural Anti-Doldrum Herbal Dandelion Supplement."

joel

2 comments:

Jess said...

that makes me mad cause when ever i got sick my mom always made me go to the store and spend my money on that stuff and take it. No knowing that it does nothing i will tell her to shove it. well not really...

Ron said...

Supposedly, the marked for echinacea was over $155 mil last year in the US, over $300 mil worldwide.

Aren't you glad that a few years ago the US government reduced the restrictions on and responsibilities of supplement manufacturers and sellers? As long as they don't say it actually cures anything, they're off the hook. If they do say something they're not supposed to, the government looks the other way. The ephedra ban has already been partially lifted now that most everyone has forgotten about it...